Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Monday, August 30, 2010

Changes


Things are a changing around here. 

I am not sure exactly where the time has gone.  Blink, and boom it's gone.  I know this comes as no big surprise to most of you.  I have always heard people say this.....especially those with children, and go figure, it's true.

My little girl is growing up!

It's hitting me in several ways right now.

Firstly, she is starting a new school.  It is a bittersweet move for all of us.  Sofia has been going to Miss Wendy since she was 9 months old - almost three years now.  During that time, there has not been a day when I have not been anything but happy to drop her off there.  She has loved every moment of it.  She has loved the friends she has made, the teachers she has had and the whole routine of it.  
She has reached so many milestones there.  She learned how to crawl, to walk there.  She went down the "big" slide there.  She learned to count to twenty, her colours, her alphabet (in phonics as well) there.  She has painted and drawn, and learned songs there.  Being an only child, she has learned to make friends and play with others (nicely) there.
She has been loved there.
What Miss Wendy and her school has given Sofia has been priceless to us.

But, time marches on and we decided that it was time for Sofia to move on as well.

Tonight, we had orientation at Sofia's new school and we are all pretty excited about it.

I think it will be challenging for her, which is good  She is going to have to be more self sufficient and she is going to be the "baby" again. But she has always liked to try and keep up with the big kids so I don't believe this will phase her at all.  The girl has got spunk......she'll do fine.
  What remains to be seen is just how well Mum's going to do.

Secondly, I just have to get in writing how proud I am of Sofia in case one day she feels like wading through this blog.

I will be the first to admit that "3" has not been our best time together.  There have been A LOT of tantrums, some serious hitting and kicking instances and a fair amount of raised voices (from both parties).  There were many "just walk away" moments (for both parties).  And don't even get me started on the whinging.
Well, you get the picture.

Anyway, another thing that those experienced in rearing children tend to tell you is that "this too will pass" and by crikey apparently they are right about that as well.

I have always been proud to go out with my daughter, but last night was a whole different experience for me and Sofia.

We had the opportunity to go out and listen to Daddy play with the Sacramento Jazz Orchestra.  The gig was at 5:00pm so well before Sofia's bed time and we met Geema and Papa, and Darlene and Jon there to listen.  Our plan was to stay for a little while and then head home.

Well, to start with, Sofia looked beautiful.  She picked out her dress and shoes and let me brush her hair.  I don't have a picture, but ask anyone who was there......it was enough to take your breath away.

She sat and listened.  She drank her apple juice out of a big cup without spilling a drop.  She visited with everyone at our table, giving all a smile, a little conversation or a little lap time.  She clapped when appropriate and danced when she just couldn't help herself.  

Yes, she had a little entertainment in the form of Mummy's i-Touch, and we took one long trip back from the bathroom to check out the hotel swimming pool, but for a 3 1/2 year old at a real jazz concert......well I just couldn't be prouder of the way my daughter conducted herself.

And the cutest thing by far, was when Clyde came off the stage (yes we ended up staying for the whole thing), she looked up at him and asked
"Daddy, did you have fun?" 

I have always been proud of my daughter
and yes, I am sure those experienced parent people would tell me "enjoy it while it lasts".  
So, that is exactly my plan!!  I will take their advice and thoroughly enjoy all of the recent changes in Sofia.

No comments: